One of the first things I noticed when I got involved in the book community was how few people purchase used books. There seems to be a consensus among many book bloggers (and booktubers especially) that every book we add to our personal collection needs to be brand new and untouched. I’ve seen some people even say that they REFUSE to purchase used books.
People can do what they want, but I’m not made of money! I couldn’t afford to have as many books as I do if I only bought new books. I admit that I do purchase a lot new books, but usually that’s because I’m too impatient to wait until I can find them on a used book site or out in the wild at a thrift shop. I don’t live in a big city so I don’t have a big selection of used bookstores or thrift stores in my area, and that means I buy new books more often than I’d like. I always search online used book sites before making a new book purchase (unless it’s a brand new release).
Benefits of buying used books:
- Much cheaper prices
- It’s fun to browse through all the shelves of a used bookstore to see what treasures you can find
- Many used bookstores allow you to donate your old books for credit to buy more
- A lot of thrift stores donate a portion of their profits to charities
- The books have a history
- You can go to the same used bookstore every week and find something different each time
- If you end up not liking a book, you didn’t spend tons of money on it
- Sometimes you can find cool editions that are no longer in print
- Cheaper prices means more books for your money!!
- Surprises inside?? I’ve purchased used books a few times and realized later that they were autographed copies! I also love finding bookmarks or notes inside books
Cons of buying used books:
- The books aren’t always in the best condition
- When you buy online, you never really know what you’re getting
- You’re not directly supporting the authors (usually)
- It can be difficult to find a specific book
In my opinion, the benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Next week I’m going to be talking about where I buy my used books, so keep an eye out for that post!
What do you think? Do you buy used book? Why or why not?